Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The City Of Sevres

The day has made me quite weary, my head thrown in the books, and my everyday exercise takes its toll on both my body and my mind. Today I will discuss the city of Sevres, a city that has truly touched my heart, but mainly I will talk about its 18th century porcelain manufacture and hopefully educate some of my readers on the marks and identification of their later porcelain wares.
We start off at a cut point when Marquis, owner of Vinceness porcelain, passes away, and the company comes into the ownership of the King,
The company prospers from ownership under the king as Sevres becomes the Royal Porcelain,
The colors that bloom in these porcelains are absolutely magnificent as we see a turn into some of the most cleanest and beautifully made china of the 18th century!
If you ever chance to walk into the Met you will see some of the most absolutely gorgeous Sevres pieces on display. I even chanced to see the very interesting Wedgewood and Sevres cabinet!
Most people wont even recognize a Sevres Mark when they see it and if they do they wouldnt be able to differentiate between the real and the fake. As a matter of fact, The Samson company prospered off making fakes of various high end porcelain companies. Therefore there are many porcelain wares that are even passed off as real ones.
Im sorry this post has to be short but my day is going to be quite busy, there will be a part two to this or I will keep editing my post,
Soon I will hopefully be doing auction research and posting it here giving estimated market values and analysis
Thank you for reading and as always feel free to email me at Antiquesfrombeyond@yahoo.com with any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment